Friday, March 16, 2012

Reading Reconnaissance: March 16th Edition

As Ellie's dad in the Tomorrow series said: "Time spent in reconnaissance is seldom wasted." And good thing, too. We'd hate to think the countless hours spent hard at work, scouring Goodreads, searching blogs and updating our TBR spreadsheets (sad but true) were a waste of time. Now we want to save you time by breaking down recent and future book releases. 

By Noelle 

Here are a few upcoming releases that have caught my book-wandering-eye (from longest to shortest wait until the release date):
 

Bad Hair Day (Kate Grable #2) by Carrie Harris (Delacorte Press -  November 13, 2012): Goodreads • Preorder at Amazon 

Kate is back! To save the day! With SCIENCE!  Those werewolves (?) better be keeping up with their Chem homework or Kate is gonna mop the floor with their fur.






For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund (Balzar + Bray - June 12, 2012): Goodreads • Preorder at Amazon 

I haven't read any Peterfreund before but like I can even resist Jane Austen's Persuasion + Genetic Experiments!  The only thing that gives me pause is the YA age conundrum.  Deciding not to run away with your 14 year old boyfriend just doesn't create the same angst as Anne Elliot refusing Wentworth's marriage proposal, y'know? Still.  I am so there.
In Honor by Jessi Kirby (Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing - May 8 2012): Goodreads • Preorder at Amazon 

I may or may not have added this book solely based on the amount of times its reviews show up in my purely-hypothetical "Tim Riggins" google-alert.  *cough*

Blackbirds by Chuck Wendig (Angry Robot - April 24, 2012): Goodreads • Preorder at Amazon 

Just look at that cover.  Ahh, I WANT IT.  GIVE IT TO ME.  Oh, and the blurb doesn't sound too shabby either: "Miriam Black knows when you will die. She’s foreseen hundreds of car crashes, heart attacks, strokes, and suicides. But when Miriam hitches a ride with Louis Darling and shakes his hand, she sees that in thirty days Louis will be murdered while he calls her name. Louis will die because he met her, and she will be the next victim. No matter what she does she can’t save Louis. But if she wants to stay alive, she’ll have to try." FYI: This one isn't YA to my knowledge.



6 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! Blackbirds looks SO good. Look at that cover.
    Great post, Noelle. I wasn't a huge fan of Bad Taste in Boys so I doubt I'll pick up the sequel but In Honor sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo I seriously did the grabby hands gesture at the Blackbirds cover! I'm going to need to read the hardcopy of that one for sure. --N

      Delete
  2. Noelle, yes! Any friend of Kate Grable's is a friend of mine. :)
    Great post.
    Maja @ The Nocturnal Library

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read For Darkness Shows the Stars and I can tell you, the angst is totally there!!! Yes, they're young, but...but..so many good, heart breaking things!

    I will not ruin it, just trust me. I felt every single little bit of their relationship and was heartbroken for most of that novel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh YES. That makes me even more excited! Thanks, Caitlin! --N

      Delete

We've just installed Disqus for comments. If you see this message, it means that Disqus has not loaded properly. BADLY DONE, DISQUS. You can either try refreshing the page to get to the Disqus thread or leave a comment here.