Friday, November 2, 2012

YAA Soundtrack: Lumatere Boxset

by Noelle

If you scroll through my favorite books on Goodreads, chances are I have a soundtrack for them on my iPod.  And like any music-obsessed person, I live to force my favorite songs on others.  For any other playlist aficionados out there who enjoy making and listening to book-themed soundtracks, you've come to the right place!  We will occasionally be posting links to playlists from my personal soundtrack collection.


This is a very special multi-blog soundtrack collection that I'm super excited to participate in: The Lumatere Boxset!  The idea came about chatting with the lovely Catie (of The Readventurer) and Reynje (of the brand new wordchasing) and our mutual love of book soundtracks.  Before long, we decided to try our hand at a trilogy, specifically a playlist for each book in the Lumatere Chronicles by Melina Marchetta.  I chose Finnikin of the Rock.  

Visit wordchasing for Reynje's soundtrack for Froi of the Exiles and The Readventurer for Catie's soundtrack for Quintana of Charyn next!

First up is Finnikin!

  

Since the Lumatere Trilogy is a fantasy, I tried to go for cinematic soundtrack choices for my tracklist.  I could imagine most of these songs playing in scenes from a Finnikin of the Rock movie or trailer.  Besides that, I tried to choose songs about epic journeys and the ol' standby emotional ANGST.  

Take a listen to the Grooveshark playlist or check out the tracklisting below:

1. O Death - Jen Titus
2. Endless Night - The Lion King Broadway Original Cast: What? First of all a) this is a total father son song for Trevanion and Finnikin and b) this entire show has something in common with Marchetta: they both make me sob.
3. Wading Deep Waters - Crooked Still
4. Ivory Tower - Tripod
5. Sorrow - The National: Sorrow found me when I was young... 
6. Cold, Cold Water - Mirah: This song always reminded me of Evanjalin.
7. Poison and Wine - The Civil Wars: My Evanjalin/Finnikin song.
8. Do Not Hang Your Head - Elizabeth and the Catapult: Sometimes manipulating loved ones to achieve the freedom of your people can really wear you down.
9.  You Will Be My Ain True Love - Allison Krauss
10. Just Breathe - Pearl Jam 
11. Hold you In My Arms - Ray LaMontagne: Because I'm a sucker for ending on a happy note.

Thanks for listening!  How'd I do?  And don't forget to check out Reynje's Froi soundtrack and Catie's Quintana soundtrack to listen to the complete set!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We've just installed Disqus for comments. If you see this message, it means that Disqus has not loaded properly. BADLY DONE, DISQUS. You can either try refreshing the page to get to the Disqus thread or leave a comment here.